Hello to all!
We skipped our 30 Weeks Bump Date for a variety of reasons, one of those reasons being that we err admitted to the hospital for blood pressure issues. We’ve since left the hospital with even stricter restrictions, and weekly NST’s etc.
Let’s dive in. We went last Wednesday for an NST and my blood pressure was sky rocketing. I’d have never known it, because I didn’t feel any different. I had a slight headache but, for me that was “normal”. We tried to let it come down on its own three times, before our MFM decided it wasn’t safe and sent us to the hospital. It was quickly determined that my blood pressure was just one of the concerns. We gave steroids to help mature the boys lungs as a “just in case” and began a 24-hour urine collection to check for proteins. After the 24 hours, my blood pressure stabilized and we did find proteins in my urine. All things point to preeclampsia.
So, diagnosed with mild preeclampsia and pregnancy induced hypertension we were released with stricter restrictions. Bedrest, complete…less salt intake…monitoring blood pressure every 4 hours…weekly non-stress tests and ultrasounds for babies.
This week, we’ve hit 31 weeks. Our last non-stress test was Friday. There are three possible results for NST’s. The first is reactive. The second is non-reactive, and the third is non-conclusive. To be reactive the babies heart rate must accelerate as it would normally when babies move or experience an acoustic marker like a vibration, a bell, etc. Non-reactive is when the baby either does not move for the duration of the test, or their heartbeat does not accelerate. Non-conclusive is used when the baby does not stay on the monitor for long enough to evaluate.
Baby A was reactive. His heartbeat accelerated as normal. Baby B was non-reactive. He moved, but his heart rate did not accelerate. Any non-reactive or non-conclusive NST results in a biophysical profile, basically an in depth ultrasound. Baby B skirted by on his BPP and we got to go home. Only to return on Wednesday, and count kicks and watch movement closely for Baby B.
Each NST and ultrasound from this point forward will be a gamble. Will they take the babies today, or are they still okay inside? This is something we will be monitoring closely and preparing for. I’m not going to lie, it will be a miracle if I manage to put together a hospital bag before Wednesday. I am exhausted 90% of the time, I sleep majority of the day due to experiencing a lot of insomnia at night. Sometimes, exhaustion hits my like a tsunami. I can’t move, I can’t get up. Hell, I can’t breathe half the time. But, this is twin pregnancy. We’re nearing the end and every day, every hour they stay in is a huge milestone for us.
We will have more updates soon!